Genotype and Phenotype
Gene=FOX13 Phenotype= Hair (aa) no Hair (Aa)
The Central Dogma= role of transcription and translation
Gene expression links genotype and phenotype
Genotype is the genetic info that it carries in the sequence of its bases
Phenotype is a product of the proteins it produces using that genetic info—genotype controls phenotype
A-T T-A C-G G-C (Base pairs)
What is a genome?
- An organisms complete set of DNA including all of its genes. Each genome contains all of the information needed to build and maintain that organism
- Term coined by Hans Winkler 1920 by combining “gene” and “chromosome”
- In single cell life forms this means all the DNA in a single cell
- Some relative sizes (expressed as the haploid genome) are complied
- Measured in “base pairs” (bp) or sometimes kilo base pairs (kbp) but most commonly in mega base pairs (Mbp)
- 1 000bp= 1 Kbp
- 1 000 000 bp – 1 Mbp
What is genomics?
The study of genomes including their structure, function, evolution and more
- Involves a set of tools
- Is considered a branch of genetics by many, but others disagree as genetics tends to focus on specific genes
What is bioinformatics?
A conceptualizing biology in terms of macro-molecule and then applying informatics techniques derived from math and computer science to understand an organize the information associated with these molecules on a large scale.
- Understanding how organisms develop and function
- Medical application
- Public health